Tuesday, August 25, 2009

First Day of School



The Mosier kids were both ready and excited for their first days of school yesterday. Although Madison was a little nervous she ended up really enjoying her first day. Sunday night we put Hudson to bed pretty early, and then both took turns reading a few books to Madison, one of them being The Night Before Kindergarten. As the night time routine progressed Madison expressed that she was a little nervous. She told Brian, "Daddy, I'm feeling a little nervous. I feel like i have two butterflies in my stomach...but their fiction."(We got a kick out of her choice of vocabulary!) We went on to explain that it was normal to feel nervous and excited, and then talked a little about when we started school and how we felt, along with telling her all the fun things she'll get to do in Kindergarten. So after a little while she says, "I'm staring to feel even more nervous....I think my two butterflies turned into three!" Thankfully all the fiction butterflies went away. When i picked her up today I asked her what she did and what her favorite part was. She told me, "All of it. Kindergarten is more fun then I could have ever imagined it, and Ms. Jarrett is the best teacher ever!" So it's safe to say, she is transitioning just fine!

Madison enters her room and shows off her new backpack.


She works on a pattern. This is her new friend, Brooke.

Hudson's first day at Timberlane Preschool was a huge success as well! After we dropped Madison off to her classroom, he went with me to the "Boo Hoo Breakfast" they had set up for the Kindergarten parents. He had his second breakfast of the morning, and then we were off to his school. He recognized the building as soon as we drove up and was eager to run inside. As soon as we walked in, he ran up to the school's director, Miss Elaine, and gave her a huge hug! The he walked right in, said hello to his teacher, Miss Jill, and immediately asked to hold the big Barney doll that was on the shelf. Anyone who knows Hudson knows that he was right at home knowing that Barney was close by! He carried him around for a few minutes, explored different areas of the room, and then happily said good bye to me. When I picked him up, I asked him about his day, but the information I could gather from him was very limited. He sounded happy and excited though as he explained his day in "Hudsonese" (Hudson's little babble talk). One thing I know for sure is that he was definitely stimulated. So much so, that he did not take a nap on Monday. Nothing got this kid to sleep, which is totally uncharacteristic of his typical 2 1/2 hour daily nap! He slept good last night though! We'll see how he does tomorrow.


Hudson loves the class Barney Doll.
He enjoyed naming the colors and cooking in the kitchen.

So, we all survived the first day experience with no tears from children or parents! I know it will be a great year!

1 comment:

Daisha said...

"Good, Hudson!"
"I want Hudson to have fun with Madison... Have FUN!!!... at school."
--Gideon

I could hear Madison talking about the fictional butterflies. priceless...

We miss you guys.
Daisha